At 08:22 PM 10/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
<---- snip ---->
>In the meantime, I have picked up in my attachment folder 27 files with the
>extension ".vcf" and over 47 files with no extension at all, most of the
>file names starting "re-."  You may have them too.  I've seen them come in,
>and I suppose that I could track down where they came from.  But perhaps I
>don't have to, and the persons generating these files could identify
>themselves and explain to the rest of us what they are all about.
>
>Art
>
>Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX

I posted the following in response to SJS's messgae.  In the original
message it wasn't clear that the "encoded files" were actually mail
attachments.  There is a difference.  I know of no one who opens a .jpg
(one type of online picture) file, copies it to a mail message and sends it
out.  That doesn't make sense.  We are dealing with multiple things here.
The first is the attachments, mostly composed of pictures lately.  The
second is the one I described below.  The third (.vcf), mentioned by Art,
are created either by a standalone application I've seen, used, and deleted
or the netscape browser (also Mozilla which was netscape's original name).
It is a business card (vcard.vcf) in electronic format.  I suggest you just
visit your download mail folder once in a while and delete all those .vcf
foiles and other unrecognized files.  ALWAYS run a virus check against the
files if you intend to do something other than delete them!!!!

I have, in the past, subscribed to a number of ListServs and received my
mail in digest form.  My research into this issue pointed toward a
"feature" of Microsoft's mail package (Microsoft mail).  The encoded
information, to my knowledge is not at all within the control of the
ListServ program.  It is freely tendered by the mail program.  I suspect
many of you find oddly encoded files in your mail program's download
folder, or wherever attachments are saved (unless you delete them).  The
fix is at the source of the mail, not the ListServ.  The MS mail program
can be modified via the options to prevent the extra mail, but I don't
remember how because I don't use that package.

Take care,
Jeff Jones, PT CG for Becky