Dear Camilla:
As you have read in several of the replies to your note, a person can
develop an allergy to an antibiotic after taking it for a long period of
time.  Just to make things a little more clear (I hope), it is important to
know exactly which antibiotic Peter is on.  Most of the time, trimethoprim
is combined with sulfamethoxazole (brand names Bactrim or Septra) and is a
great antibiotic for urinary tract infections.  The sulfamethoxazole is
usually the offending drug in causing reactions.  I agree that you should
speak to Peter's doctor as soon as possible, as well as continue to look for
other things which may have caused the rash:  new foods, a change in soaps,
shampoos or detergents.  As also suggested, a fungal infection should be
ruled out.  Good luck in solving an often difficult problem!!

Faye ([log in to unmask])