original posted on 970717
-------------------------

dear syber-siblings

our newest list member asks:
>Is Prozac the best thing for this sort of depression?

clinical depression [cd] seems to have become my pet subject

the question reminded me of something i had intended to
include in my 'perceptions' post earlier this week

in my reading about cd and its treatment
i understand that the current professional guidelines
advise that where medication is indicated as a treatmemt
it should be approached much more aggressively
than in the past

the thinking was that cd has been chronically under-treated:
not enough medication and for too short a time
to be truly effective in 'blowing the clouds away'

the implication was that cd is eminently treatable and beatable
that its victims should not have to suffer with it needlessly
due to under-treatment

i believe that i can relate to this personally
i felt that my anti-depressant 'wasn't working anymore'
and worried about switching to something else

however my doctor advised increasing the current med
for a few weeks as the first strategy
and i do believe it worked

[witness the sudden re-emergence of the hermit!]

please note that i have deliberately avoided naming meds
because pd varies so much from one person to another
and each of us is our own unique 'chemical stew'

there are a lot of anti-depressants available;
it may take some experimenting to hit on the right one

any comments or corrections?

janet