HEALTH CANADA APPROVES FIRST IN A NEW CLASS OF PARKINSONS DRUGS

Fast-acting therapy offers new hope to 100,000 Canadians
with devastating movement disorder

TORONTO, Oct. 30 /CNW/ - Pharmaceutical developer Hoffmann-La Roche
Limited (Roche Canada) announced today that Tasmar(R) (tolcapone), an
important new medication for the treatment of Parkinsons, has received
regulatory clearance from Health Canada.
Tasmar is the first member of a new class of Parkinsons medicines called
COMT-inhibitors. It works to prolong and enhance the action of levodopa in
the  brain, the current 'gold standard' in Parkinsons treatment, providing
better  and extended control of symptoms. There is no cure for Parkinsons
so all  treatments focus on improving the symptoms - primarily the loss of
control  over movement, tremor and muscle stiffness.
"The availability of levodopa in the 1960s revolutionized the treatment  of
Parkinsons by restoring movement control to patients. However, as
Parkinsons progresses, patients find they require higher and more frequent
doses to control their symptoms," explained Dr. Donald Calne, Director,
Neurodegenerative Disorders Centre at the University of British Columbia
Hospital, Vancouver and Chair, Scientific Advisory Board of the Parkinson
Foundation. "As the patient becomes more disabled, their symptoms fluctuate
more widely during the day - this can mean going from complete mobility
to,  in some instances, not even being able to get out of a chair."
"Tasmar is an important advance because in most patients it smoothes out
the delivery of levodopa to the brain in a continuous fashion. This
improves  motor function and reduces the time patients are 'off', or having
difficulty  with movement. The smoother delivery of levodopa to the brain
means fewer  fluctuations between good movement control, or 'on' time,"
added Dr. Calne.
"The benefits Tasmar brings to levodopa therapy can improve a patient's
quality of life markedly," he continued.
Treatment with Tasmar
-----------
Tasmar is approved for use in combination with both levodopa/carbidopa  and
levodopa/benserazide combinations. Results from clinical trials involving
Tasmar show that patients with more progressed Parkinsons, known as
fluctuating patients, experienced a reduction of approximately 30 to 50 per
cent in off time with Tasmar and a significant motor function improvement.

For non-fluctuating patients (patients whose Parkinsons is in earlier
stages) the clinical trial results showed that treatment with Tasmar
resulted  in a notable 20 per cent improvement in their ability to perform
activities of  daily living, and an overall improvement in motor
performance.
Tasmar begins working within one day. Patients can take the therapeutic
dose immediately, in contrast to many Parkinson therapies where the dose
must  be gradually increased over weeks or months. Tasmar has a reasonable
side  effect profile. The most frequent adverse event that lead to
discontinuation  of therapy was diarrhea (only five to six per cent
discontinued therapy as a  result, versus one per cent on placebo). Tasmar
is available in two strengths,  100 mg and 200 mg.
"Tasmar was a breakthrough for me," recalls patient Derek Curwin, who  was
involved in the clinical trials of Tasmar and was diagnosed with
Parkinsons five years ago. "I find that my 'on' time lasts longer now that
I  have added Tasmar to my treatment regimen. And when I do go 'off', I
don't go  as far 'off' as I used to. Tasmar has made control over my
symptoms easier to  manage."
COMT-inhibitors enhance levodopa's effectiveness by blocking an enzyme
known as catechol-O-methyltransferase, or COMT, which breaks down levodopa
in  the body. The blocking action of COMT-inhibition allows almost double
the  amount of levodopa to cross into the brain, and in a more continuous
way. The  result is enhanced control of the symptoms of Parkinsons.
Devastating condition
-----------
"We welcome any new treatment advances which could help the thousands of
Canadian families who live with this devastating condition," said Trevor
Williams, chief executive officer of the Parkinson Foundation of Canada.
Parkinsons affects more than 100,000 Canadians, making it the leading
movement disorder in the country. The condition occurs when cells in part
of  the brain which control muscle movement are lost, affecting all
activities in  a person's life. Even the simplest movements, such as
getting out of a chair,  become an overwhelming challenge. Despite
intensive research, the cause of  Parkinsons remains a mystery.
Teresa Flowers, Director of Drug Information and Safety for Roche Canada
commented: "At Roche, we have a long experience with Parkinsons having
brought levodopa therapy to patients in the 1960s. We are very proud to see
one of our most important research efforts now become available to ease
the  suffering of Parkinsons patients. Tasmar offers patients a remarkable
improvement in their quality of life. We believe it will transform the way
that Parkinsons is treated."
With Canadian headquarters in Mississauga, Ontario, Hoffmann-La Roche -
known as Roche - is today one of the world's leading healthcare companies.
Represented in more than 50 countries, the company is involved in the
manufacture and research of pharmaceuticals, vitamins, fine chemicals and
diagnostic equipment. A leader in a number of fields, Roche Canada is
currently targeting virology, immunology, cardiology, oncology and
inflammatory diseases as priority areas of research. The company is also
active in the areas of biotechnology, AIDS research, depression and
dermatology.
-0-                         10/30/97
/For further information: Beth Wanlin, Manager, Public Relations,
Hoffmann-La Roche, (905) 542-5803; In Toronto: Joanna Wilson, NATIONAL
PharmaCom, (416) 586-0180; In Vancouver: David March, NATIONAL PharmaCom,
(604) 684-6655 office, (604) 889-1935 cellular/CO:  Hoffmann-La Roche
Limited  ST:  Ontario  IN:  MTC  SU:
-30-    CNW 10:47e 30-OCT-97