Judith, I believe that music can make a large difference in mood, efficiency,
and a feeling of general well being.  I am a service tech on  duplicating
equipment, and I work in varied locations. I am not usually able to select
what music is playing, if any, where I work.  If I am listening to music that
I enjoy, I work better, feel better, it makes me just plain feel good. On the
other hand if the music is too repetitive,extremely loud or distorted, or a
type of music I dislike, it makes me feel trapped, unless I can change it. It
actually affects my ability to work, negatively.
My father, who has PD, will respond to good music, he will be in a better
mood, and less depressed.  I also prefer good live music, to recorded, if
given the choice. It is amazing how many nice parties, weddings, etc, are
accompanied with a disk jockey, and no band! I'd rather have less food, or
cheaper decorations, and a good live band, than to listen to tapes, or cds. I
can do THAT at home, and I get to pick them!
If people continue to shun live music, some day there will be none!  One of
my hobbies is record collecting, so I know they have their place, but at a
catered party? TACKY! (Okay so I come from a family of musicians, and I am
predjudiced, but I am RIGHT!) My nephew used  to bring a small band to a
local nursing home and he really enjoyed the reactions of the residents, and
they loved the music! Ken B