Hope for multiple sclerosis sufferers in new study

DETROIT (October 27, 1997 6:52 p.m. EST http://www.nando.net) -- In a
development that could help lead to a treatment for multiple sclerosis,
laboratory experiments have found that a certain hormone stimulates the
growth of the protective sheath around nerves.

In degenerative diseases like MS and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou
Gehrig's disease, damage around the sheath stops signals from being
transmitted between the brain and nerves.

An insulin-like growth hormone called IGF-I has been found to regrow these
sheaths, University of Michigan scientists reported Monday.

Though several growth factors currently are being studied, IGF-I appears to
be most effective at inducing the growth of the sheath and preventing
neural cell death, according to Michigan researcher Hsin-Lin Cheng.

The Michigan scientists, who presented the first results from their
experiments with IGF-I at a confererence in New Orleans on Monday, removed
nerve cells called dorsal root neurons from newborn rats and grew them in a
dish.

They found that if they simulated the conditions of diabetes in the dish,
then applied the IGF-I, it helped the nerves remain normal, Feldman said.

"This may provide a new treatment for a whole group of diseases we couldn't
treat before," said Eva Feldman, associate professor of neurology at the
University of Michigan Medical School.

Tests with the hormone, which is produced in the liver and is present in
blood serum, are under way on about 40 people with neuropathy at the Mayo
Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

Dr. Stephen Reingold of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in New
York, was cautious about the results.

"They certainly are jumping the gun by saying that it could help with
multiple sclerosis. IGF-I has never been studied with MS," he said.

By RANDI GOLDBERG, The Associated Press
Copyright 1997 Nando.net
Copyright 1997 The Associated Press
<http://www.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/health/102797/health20_12442_noframes.html>

janet paterson - 50/9 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac - [log in to unmask]