 My husband has had PD for  at least 16 years with the additional diagnosis
of Shy-drager syndrome since l991. As I understand it, many  of the symptoms
are similar, but not all SDS patients respond to PD meds. Ken was the
exception to this as he responded extremely well to both sinemet and deprenyl
for many years. The main symptom of SDS is extreme  postural hypotension. Ken
has had his BP measured as high as 220/160  in a prone position and as low as
40/20 when he attempts to stand. Needless to say, he passes out when this
kind of a drop takes place in the  space of a minute. In addition to
sinemetCR for PD he takes florinef and midodrine with salt tablets and much
fluids to keep his BP high enough to stand. His sitting BP should be above
170/100 to take the drop when he stands. Rather than confine him to a
wheelchair fulltime, he has a  fulltime helper always at his side to help him
if he stands and falls. This has enabled him to continue to walk most of the
time and to exercize regularly. My understanding is that SDS/MSA patients
slowly lose all their autonomic functions, but then so do many PD patients so
the difference between the diseases is hard to define. I guess if  the
patient does not respond well to sinemet and continues to have PD symptoms,
the SDS/MSA  diagnosis might be easier. With my husband, his Neurologist
resisted putting SDS on his insurance forms until using florinef and salt
alone no longer controlled his standing BP and we had to use midodrine too. I
notice she now writes shy-drager syndrome as his diagnosis. There is a
separate listserv for SDS. Write [log in to unmask] and
in the message write Subscribe shy-drager. The listserv has been a lifesaver
for us. Barbara Smith/CG/Ken/69/16