Hi Folks,

I have seen little, if anything, on the subject of tomatoes and PD.
However, having come across some information a couple of days ago about
tomatoes, I would like to raise the subject hoping that we might flush out
some useful information.

Personally, I love tomatoes and have been in the habit of having some form
of tomato or tomato based soup as part of my lunch in winter on most days
when we have not been going out.  However, in checking the detailed daily
diary that we keep, I was trying to see reasons for differences in my
condition on different days.  The results were far from conclusive, but it
appeared as if I had done better in periods when I had not had tomato soup.

I decided to avoid tomato soup for a while, whilst continuing to eat
tomatoes if they were in food generally, and did not think much more about
it.  However, this week, I read an article in a newspaper (UK Daily
Telegraph 31/10/97) which said that, it had been found in a study conducted
by Dr Harry Kissileff of St. Luke's Hospital, New York, that tomato soup
boosted levels of CHOLECYSTOKININ in the body. The article was not concerned
with PD, but was pointing out that the Cholecystokinin contributed to a
feeling of "fullness" and therefore was good as a slimming aid.

Putting it simply, we know that Cholecystokinin and Dopamine must be kept in
balance in the brain and that to this end some treatments for PD, are to
take anticholenergic drugs to restore this balance.  Therefore, it would
appear that tomatoes, leastways a largish quantity of them which I would
presume there would be in a tomato soup, may be detrimental to PD symptoms.

Other than a nutritional source on the web which says PDers should avoid
"night shade vegetables" and a list member who follows the same advice, I
have seen very little on the subject.

Has anyone seen the full Kissileff report?  I would be interested in
comments from the group and any past or future observations they come up with.

Ernie. 54/4.0

Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>