A population perspective on diagnostic criteria for Parkinson's disease.

For Parkinson's disease (PD), little is known about how the choice of
diagnostic criteria affects research results.

Using data on PD from three community studies (from Argentina, the
Netherlands, Italy), we compared the impact on prevalence of several sets
of diagnostic criteria.

Each set was based on cardinal signs -- resting tremor, bradykinesia,
rigidity, impaired postural reflexes -- and required that other
parkinsonism be excluded.

Some sets had additional requirements related to duration of symptoms,
asymmetry of signs, or response to medication.

In terms of prevalence, much lower estimates were associated with the
requirements of asymmetry of signs and response to medication.

The assessment of these clinical features may not be practical in community
studies.

Impaired postural reflexes, as a cardinal sign, seemed superfluous.

For community studies of PD, we recommend the following diagnostic criteria:
at least two of resting tremor, bradykinesia, or rigidity
in the absence of other apparent causes of parkinsonism.

Neurology 1997 May;48(5):1277-1281
de Rijk MC, Rocca WA, Anderson DW, Melcon MO, Breteler MM, Maraganore DM
Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Erasmus University Medical
School, Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
PMID: 9153457, MUID: 97297825

janet [log in to unmask]