You quote:  Meldrum said that, apart from the physical discomfort and the
smell of
> Wolf's feet, one of the most difficult problems was having to answer the
> same questions "hundreds of times" from different journalists.

No doubt this is not a problem even for caged chickens.

Among the creatures running around my place are chickens (and roosters).
Mine are free range, but this arrangement is not always desirable, as the
natural elements (hawks, coyotes, foxes, fisher cats, racoons) wipe out
most of our population on a consistent basis. The ones who stay close to
the barn do the best.

I have also had to cage some roosters who murdered Mr. Brown (a nice
passifist rooster) -- life in prison, as it were. They were put in dog
kennels for about a year. Occasionally, they'd get out (or I'd let them
out) and they'd immediately try go after other chickens. When it was clear
to me that they had to live in the kennels but that they were absolutely
miserable there (they were pacing all the time), I allowed my husband to
kill them (when I was off to my parents with the kids for the week). The
life of a caged chicken is, in fact, intolerable. Enojy Canada.

Debbie White