Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:51:00 +0000
From: Elliott Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
To: Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Udall Victory, Part 2

Very appropriately I was listening  to "Dancin' in the Rain" at 2:26
this AM  when I  came to the last of some forty  unread messages on my
Parkie  Internet service -- Larry Hoffheimer's triumphant cry that the
Udall Bill was finally  to become the law of the land in a matter of
weeks!

        I say appropriately, because there is pure  joy  in  the way clarinet
virtuouso Richard Stoltzman renders that song , which in  itself
expresses unbounded happines with the gift of life.  It's fortunate I
was using earphones,
because I turned up the volume and metaphorically  danced a jig  of
delight at this news! I thought of all the wonderful people who labored
hard and long  to make this moment possible. Of Joan Samuelson,  whose
determination  to lick her ailment had led to the creation of a Bill
promising  a cure in ten years
at  most  and possibly  within three.  Of Parkie activists such as
Charlie Richards, Janice Clements, and Jim Cordy  who were galvanized by
her vision and enabled to focus their cunsiderable energies on  a common
goal.  Of carepart-
ners such as Ann Jrnnings who have created  flourishing  Parkinson's
support
groups which, as  a by-product, have brought  victims  out of their
closets,
wakened  the public to the alarming  nature and extent of the disease,
and laid
the foundation for powerful grass roots  support of pro-Parkinson's
action in Washington. Of dedicated members of the fine Parkie
organizations -- The
Parkinson's Institute, the Parkinson's Disease Fouindation, APDA,
Samuelson's own Parkinson's Action Network -- people such as Ken Maurer,
Paul Smedberg,
Robin Elliott, Bill Turenne, Mike Claeys and Larrry Hoffheimer, who went
the
extra mile to help each other in the battle for Udall and to aid PWP
directly
(in the case of Robin Elliott, literally  running  extra miles in a
Parkinson's  Unity Day Marathon in New York). Of the doctors, medical
researchers  and  nurses  who  volunteered their time and knowledge in
testifying  before Congress
and  in other ways both large and small helping  the Parkinson's
community  to
help itself  -- such as Cathi Thomas and Drs. Isacson and Olanow. Of
the   Congressional stalwarts who saw  the Bill through its darkest
hours,
staffers  who for most of us remained anonymous, plus the House and
Senate
members who introduced the Bill and stuck by it to the end --
Congressmen
Upton and Waxman and Senators Wellstone and McCain,  the latter  having
replaced  retired Senator  Hatfield and whose steel-like resolve (and
able
staffer  Sonya Sotak) swept all else aside to insure immediate passage.

        M y   exhuberant thoughts spilled over to encompass all the good
people
of  Shrewsbury  --  unsung  heroes and heroines such as Heidi Mitchell,
Emily
Korngeibel, Liz Daley, Bernie  Stewart and Larry Carrara -- who worked
garner  250 signatures  urging  Senator Jeffords to support the Bill,
and who in the  end prevailed on him to abstain from using  his power
as  Committee
Chairman  to kill the Bill.

        Sadly,  one's thoughts  also  turn to Morris Udall himself, the
long-term, much-loved Congressman who vied for and richly  deserved his

         .