Joy wrote:
> Could someone tell me if there are a set of guidelines (anywhere?) to
> establish when and if a person needs PEG feedings?

I don't know if such guidelines exist - there are many reasons for
establishing PEG tube feedings, and the decision is best left to the
patient, family and physician.

Generally, any patient who has had multiple episodes of aspiration
pneumonia (where food passes into the trachea because the individual is
unable to swallow effectively) is a prime candidate.  Swallowing
evaluations establish that such a condition truly exists.
-----
Regards
Mary Ann