Brian,

We agree.  L-dopa is still number one.  It produces the best effect and
is most physiological in its action.  Being the best however does not
mean it should be the first choice for a newly diagnosed PWP. The new
meds offer alternatives which complement the use of l-dopa.  I don't
trust drug companies and their claims either but the FDA reviews and
limits what can be claimed to those things that have been proven and
reviewed by unbiased experts.  They tend to be conservative in fact and
often lag behind the literature in the approved use of a particular
drug- that's why we in the states pull out our hair waiting for new
drugs to be approved.

L-DOPA is clearly number one but must be used judiciously.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI