Hi Susan,

As I started this "tomato talk", I thought I had better explain.  I have not
read anywhere that tomatoes are GOOD for PD, but there is a possibility
that, eaten in quantity, they may increase symptoms.  I say only "MAY"
increase symptoms, and it may be that only in quantity do they have such an
effect.

I brought it up because I had given up my almost daily lunchtime tomato soup
in the winter, because I thought I was doing better in tomato free periods.
I still eat tomatoes in other forms.  When I read last week that it had been
found in a research study that tomato soup raised Cholecystokinin levels, I
thought it was worth mentioning.

Cholecystokinin is connected with Parkinsons disease and research is being
carried out on this connection.  There are some PDers who avoid so called
"night shade vegetables" such as tomatoes and there is at least one web site
I have seen which says PDers should avoid these vegetables.

The main thing is to make people aware, so that they can determine if indeed
they are affected adversely, and if so, share their experience with the group.

As Allan Rosenberg said only yesterday concerning grapefruit, we may each of
us be affected by different foods in different ways and to different
degrees.  Our day to day food is normally varied and PD conditions also vary
day to day, so it is not easy to pick out what could be causing a problem -
especially if it is only a mild effect in some people.

If there WAS a proven effect, as in protein, then we might be a little more
careful as to when in the day we eat tomatoes.

I hope people will let us have some feedback if they find an effect.

Ernie.
Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>