In a message dated 97-11-04 04:21:18 EST, you write:>

 >>I'm taking so many pills I fear I will begin to rattle as I walk.  I'm
 taking Amantadine, Parlodel, Ergyloid Mesylate, Zoloft, Paxil,
 B-Complex, Evening Primrose Oil, Caffeine tablets, and Klonipin.>>

Claudia,
I agree with Jeremy.  That's an awfully big array of drugs. I was diagnosed
almost 2 years ago at the age of 57 (but am pretty positive I had PD symptoms
for 9 years prior to diagnosis).  My neurologist started me on 5 mg of
Eldepryl and Vitamins C and E for their neuroprotective effects and a small
amount of Paxil for depression.  In the two years since DX, I have had almost
no progression of PD. At my request, I have recently added Mirapex to my meds
with positive effects.  Each neuro, I think, has his own favorite meds, but
I'm glad you're seeing Dr. Iacono for a second opinion.

 <<My biggest fears are the unknown.  I don't know how this will end up and
 what my life will be like.  My dr. says I have a more aggressive form of
 PD and that my disease will peak in 5-8 years.  That seems very soon to
 me.  Does that coincide with what the rest of you have experienced?>>

I don't know how any doctor can predict the progression of this really
unpredictable disease.  I'd check the info you were given with Dr. Iacono. My
biggest fears are also the unknown.  I feel blessed to have found this very
informative list.  Learn all you can about PD.  It will help you cope and
fight this disease.  Stretch and exercise all you can, laugh a lot, keep
active, and believe in your heart that there will be a cure in the not so
distant future.

 <<I am able to work part of most days.  I haven't yet made a decision as
 to whether or not to retire early.  Any comments from those of you more
 experienced.  Do you think it might slow the progression of PD? >>

if your job is stressful and you can afford to retire, do so.  If you love
your job, keep working.

 <<I'm a realist and really want to know what to expect down the road.  Any
 info anyone who has experienced it would be very much appreciated. >>

PD is so different for everyone (symptoms, progression, etc) that I don't
think anyone could venture to say how it will be for you, but if you have a
possitive attitude and keep fighting, you'll surely be better off.  Please let
us know what Dr. Iacono has to say.

Mary