John Morey wrote:

> At 12:54 AM 11/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Steve and Brenda, check very carefully how her medications are being
> >dispensed, it is very common for NH's and hospitals to vary the amount and
> >timing of medications, and with PD, it can make a big difference in symtoms.
> > You actually have to be there, not trust they are following the doctors
> >orders!  Good luck! Ken B
>
> I concur with Ken.  You really need to be there and talk to the person
> giving the meds. Don't believe the chart and don't ever believe that the NH
> is doing what you have directed them to do!  They will do what is
> convienent for them! I remember finding a variety of pills on the floor of
> my Mothers's room in the NH.
>                                                                 Peace, John

Dear John & Ken:  As a NH Pharmacy Consultant for several years I can
tell you that NH's are required to give meds within one hour either way
of when the Dr. prescribes them. It is always possible for the med to be
documented as given, but not given or given improperly. It is my opinion
that most NH's try to diligently follow the Dr.'s orders. To moniter as
you suggest, you would have to be there every day for each med pass.
This is probably not possible for most people. More than likely the
problems arise due to the Dr. not properly structuring the med regimine
correctly. I suggest you talk to the Director of Nursing to see if the
Dr. will allow trying some different regimins. This may take contacting
the Dr. several times a week for a while. The nurses are not allowed to
experiment on their own.                Jerry Starr,  Rph