Paul Albert wrote:

> My name is Paul Albert and I am third year student at Acadia
> University.  I am doing research on the leisure behaviors and
> patterns of people afflicted with Parkinson's.
>
> This survey will only take five minutes of your time.  To answer press
> reply and include complete message.  If for any reason you do not feel
> comfortable answering a question or it does not apply to you please
> leave it blank.
>
> Mail to the following e-mail address [log in to unmask]
>
> Question 1:
>
> What role do you feel leisure plays in your life?
if you define leisure as doing nothing, very little

defined as doing what I choose, that is my current modus operandi

> Question 2:
>
> Since you were diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, has the amount of
> time you spent at leisure generally: (check only one)
>
>  ___I retired___ Increased
>  ______ Decreased
>  ______ Stayed the same
>
> Question 3:
>
> Please list your top 5 leisure pursuits.
>  1- learning about and involving myself in Parkiknsonism and other
>  2- other learning
>  3- other teaching and caregiving
>  4- volunteering VITA, Chair PD support group
>  5- attempting to improve the absurdity of illogic in the "COLA" farce
>
> Question 4:
>
> Are there any leisure pursuits that you are no longer able to
> participate in due to Parkinson's?
most physical and sports activities are poorly do-able

> Are any of the following constraints and/or barriers affecting your
> participation: (you may check more than one)
>
>  _______        Lack of money
>  _______        Lack of time
>  _______        Transportation
>  ____x___        Physical ability
>  _______        Lack of knowledge
>  _______        Lack of experience/skills
>  _______        Lack of companions
>  _______        No program opportunities
>  _______        Internal pressure
>  _______        External pressure
>  ____x___        Lack of interest
>  Other please specify:  taking medications to control the disease interfers with everything essentially  -  also, eating optimumly - choices of foods, quantities and scheduling relevant to medication are time and energy consuming
LEISURE IN  THE USUAL SENSE IS LOW PRIORITY for optimal adaptation to live
with PD

One must accept the truth that living has meaning in the caring for needs of
self and others.  PLAYING GAMES is not truly enjoyable (does not make the
brain feel good.)

> Question 6:
>
> When negotiating the above constraints do you: (you may check more
> than one)
>  ______ Choose an alternate activity
>  ______ Ignore the problem
>  ___x___ Try to be positive and have fun
>  Other please specify:
>
> Question 7:
>
> Do you prefer to participate in leisure activities with: (check only
> one)
>  _______        People with PD
>  _______        People without PD
>  ____x___        Indifferent
>
> Why is that your preference? ???
>
> Question 9:
>
> Where do you do you leisure activities/pursuits? varies, but mostly at or near home
>
> Question 10:
>
> Do you feel that there is a need for more organized leisure
> activities/programs in your community to meet the needs of people with
> Parkinson's? It would be good to encourage support groups and Tai Chi and exercise activities suited to our conditions of slow and erratic movement

> If so what recommendations would you give a recreation administrator?
re-creating to adapt to movement disorder is primarily psychological
acceptance of accelerated mortality - that is,the disease destroys physical
and mental movement capabilities progressively.
re-creation in the sense of "having fun exercising" one's physical skills is
not much avalaible to us.
acceptance of reduced  capability and reducing the rate of decay are crucial
to coping with the depression of living less physically capable every year.
Alternate goals must be pursued - that require less physical ability - because
using it or losing it applies more than ever, but few of us are able to
maintain enough exercising to approach zero loss.

> Question 11:
>
> How old are you? 61
>
> Question 12:
> (Sex)
>  ____x___        Male            _______ Female
>
> Question 13:
>
> How long have you had Parkinson's? since  ? diagnosis in 1984, but no one knows when the degeneration started
>
> I would like to thank you for filling out this survey and if there are
> any other comments or questions you my contact me at
>
> Thanks.
Please post your results to the list.  As well, try to summarize what you
learn via doing this survey.

--
Ron Vetter 1936, 1984 PD dz ... "money is coined liberty" ... Dostoevsky
e-mail: [log in to unmask]