At 09:48 PM 11/5/97 -0500, Jackie ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>The site below says that it is a neurotransmitter, because it fools your
>brain into thinking that you are eating good quality food.
>
>http://nomsg.com/
>
>The site below says that it is a safe ingredient.
>
>http://www.msgfacts.com/
>
>I don't know which one to believe.  What do you think?
>
>Jackie

Jackie,

Some time ago, I got a substantial amount of mail from Betty Martini,
<[log in to unmask]> who is a foe of aspartame and possibly MSG as well.
Allow me to quote from two letters where she mentions MSG:

<<
Aspartame found early opposition in consumer attorney James Turner,
author of *The Chemical Feast* and a former  Nader's Raider. At his own
expense, Turner fought approval for  ten years, basing his argument on
aspartame's potential side effects, particularly on children. His concern
was shared by Dr. John Olney, Professor of neuropathology and psychiatry at
Washington School of Medicine in St. Louis. Dr. Olney found that aspartame,
combined with MSG seasoning, increased the odds of brain damage in children.

and Ms. Martini's letter to the FDA

<<
It seems you requested comments relevant to regulations discussed in the
June 12, 1996 Federal Register pages 29701--29708 "that would assist the
agency in fulfilling its mission to protect the interest of consumers."
But the fact that flavorings (s), food additives, or MSG were the subject
of discussion was HIDDEN.  The title of the Federal REgister article did
not mention "flavoring" or "food additives" or "MSG".  But as far as I'm
concerned the FDA has a HIDDEN agenda and that is "no right to know by the
public" and loyalty only to industry.  So what do you expect.  Most people
just learned about this and I understand today, September 10, is the last
day to comment.

NOTHING should be hidden in food!  Every substance found in nature is
"natural", for example crude oil and lava.  Some may taste good.  The
Romans sweetened their wine with a natural flavor that demented the
Caesars and decimated the population.  It was lead, and deadly poisoning
killed thousands.

In our BRAVE NEW WORLD the work of murdering the population is much more
advanced.  Poisons are purposefully formulated to spice our diet:  MSG,
BST, aspartame and Olestra, then added to recipes for thousands of "New
Improved" groceries.  Bon Appetite -- and call your undertaker!

You people don't even count all the complaints like in the case of
aspartame and MSG.  We print the cards that are given to the victims to
fill out and send it.  Don't you think we know you disregard the
statistics. Don't you think people tell us when they complain how you
tell them "we're not taking complaints".

Jackie, as a result of Ms. Martini's letters, I gave up aspartame.  I have
not noticed that I feel better as a result, but her reasoning, elsewhere in
the correspondence, is compelling.  I do know of people who have had
negative reactions from both aspartame and MSG, but in neither case can I
draw any conclusions relating to either PD or any other segment of the
public to which these negative reactions might happen with greater frequency.

Perhaps she might have gathered further information on this in the year
plus since these documents were written.  I am copying her on this memo
with the expressed intent of asking if she can guide us further.  Betty,
can you help, please?

Art

Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX

               Always Remember This:
     Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness