On 11/03/97  Joe Bruman asked:

>Can anyone answer this question? What's the relation, if any,
>between the family of natural glutamates (neurotransmitters
>such as NMDA, arising in the striatum and subthalamic nucleus
>and considered neurotoxic when present in excess) and the popular
>"Chinese restaurant" condiment monosodium glutamate (MSG)?

Joe:

MSG or momosodium glutamate is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. It is a
naturally occurring flavor enhancer found in a number of plants and in
milk. It is produced commercially from sugar beets and other plant
products that are good sources of glutamic acid. Casein, a milk protein,
is also an important source.  Among the foods that provide significant
amounts of natural MSG are Parmesan and Roquefort cheeses, mushrooms,
walnuts, broccoli, and tomatoes. (Hmmm...the tomatoes, mushrooms and
Parmesan along with gluten rich pasta sounds a lot like the foods we were
discussing recently.) The western diet includes about 0.3 grams of free
glutamate per day, while in southeast Asia, the amount is 3 grams. Soy
sauce is a major contributer there.

Some people are sensitive to MSG and experience a variety of neurological
symptoms. It is not an allergy, but a sensitivity that may be related to
a metabolic defect. Adequate dietary vitamin B6 has been found to help
alleviate symptoms in some susceptible subjects. Sensitive people should
avoid excessive intake of natural food sources and take care in avoiding
additive sources. This is not worrisome for most of us for, as the
Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) reported, it would take 50
tablespoons of Parmesan cheese at a sitting to get a large enough dose of
natural MSG to cause an unpleasant neurological reaction from sensitive
people who do not have asthma.

Since an estimated 25 to 30% of the U.S. population may be sensitive in
some degree to commercially added MSG, there have been ongoing arguments
concerning the FDA approval of MSG as a GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe)
food additive. When added to foods, it is labelled as monosodium glutamate.
The Institute of Food Technologists have issued Information papers on this
subject. One of these is found at
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_fnut/_timely/MONO.HTM

Another informative source is that of The Glutamate Association at
http://www.msgfacts.com

A very informative source is in the Medical Sciences Bulletin section at
http://www.pharminfo.com

Glutamic acid (alpha-amino- glutaric acid) is an amino acids which performs
the transamination and deamination processes that allow nutrients to be
assembled into body chemicals that are essential for life. It is also an
ingredient of folic acid. When glutamic acid combines with ammonia in brain,
liver and kidneys, glutamine is formed. This compound can cross the blood-
brain barrier where it supplies the glutamic acid needed to participate
in cell oxidation, the process of getting energy from nutrients.

Glutamate, is one of the excitatory amino acids, which function as nerve
transmitters in the central nervous system. Aspartic Acid is the other. We
have had a discussion in the past here on the list about the incompatability
of foods and beverages sweetened by aspartame for people with PD. Do we also
have a problem with Glutamate?

Martha Rohrer  CG for Neal, 77/12