MSG? OK! OK!

My thanks to Barb Mallut, Charlie, Jackie, Joan, Michel (did I miss
anyone?) for the cornucopia of info about monosodium glutamate (MSG),
the once-popular "Chinese food" condiment. I'll try to summarize:

MSG does indeed act within the brain, but as a flavor enhancer, not
like those other glutamates in the brain that are suspected of
causing movement disorders. MSG occurs naturally in some foods, but
in a few sensitive people may have unpleasant effects such as
headache. Hence, while not actually verboten by the FDA, MSG as an
additive has fallen from favor. In particular Barb, the erstwhile
Bill Gates minion, says the Chinese place where we recently dined
with some other parkies no longer uses "MSN". Zounds Barb! Does that
mean those wily inscrutable orientals may start insinuating big MACS
into their cuisine?

Anyway, researchers who suspect that those brain glutamates may
be involved in movement disorders have been testing glutamate
antagonists on animals, and finding that they do relieve some
symptoms of artificially-induced PD. The problem is, known glutamate
antagonists so far are either weak (Amantadine) or have too many
adverse side effects, so they are looking for better ones.
Coincidentally Ted Robinson, one of the parkies that evening at the
restaurant, is one subject in a controlled trial of remacemide, the
first of such antagonists to reach the human trial stage. Since we
don't know whether Ted is getting drug or placebo, it's too soon to
report any results.

Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694