Janet, your message caused me to dig up my "essay".

Spunky People

Our bodies 'wear out'.  Take care that this process does not get accelera=
ted
by your 'indiscretions'.  Chance will place you in harm's way many times =
on
it's own.  You are foolish to take chances - especially when the  potenti=
al
gain for you is insignificant compared to the hazard.  In other words,
poisoning your homeostatic system with booze, other drugs-chemicals to re=
duce
inhibitions is foolish.  There are ways to reduce your inhibitions harmle=
ssly.
 Increased self-esteem will also decrease inhibitions.

These often have partial origin in early-life-events when powerful-righte=
ous
adults told you to "Be Quiet!",  "Shut Your Mouth!", or "You can't do any=
thing right!".

Several of my older friends are examples that more should emulate.  They
remain independent and are proud that they have made their own way.  Not =
all
are still able to accomplish every task they wish to do.  The wise ones h=
ave
accepted help, but they continue to care and do what they can - for thems=
elves
and  others.  They have learned-know that loving-caring is the essence of
their personal happiness.
I invite the reader to consider Professor Stephen Hawking.  His body has =
been
a 'disaster' for many years - due to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou
Gehrig's disease).  He is a leading theoretical physicist and professor.

The fear of dying may be part of the causes of the current phenomenon tha=
t is
extant - much of one=92s medical costs are paid during the last year of l=
ife.  A
second major factor is the "practice" of doctors to do all that can be do=
ne.=20
I am compelled by my honesty and concern for the "common good" to say tha=
greed appears prominent as motivator.  The excuse of avoiding  malpractic=
e law
suits is somewhat real, but integrity, honor, honesty, professionalism, e=
cetera and loving-caring should each be more important to a physician tha=
n is money.

Living longer may be worth much, but wasting wealth is immoral at all tim=
es in
our lives.   It seems a poor bargain, for instance, that my father =91liv=
ed=92 his
final ten weeks in pain and anguish in hospitals; with Mom and family bei=
ng
miserable in sympathy and frustration.

"Spunky" people are young in spirit - pay little attention relatively to =
their
body's age or complaints - grow every day - change for the better.   We l=
ive,
laugh, love, give, learn-change and remain happy - even euphoric.  We hop=
e to
accept .. and complete .. the termination of life with dignity.
--=20
Ron Vetter 1936, 1984 PD dz ... "money is coined liberty" ... Dostoevsky
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter