On Sat, 8 Nov 1997 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I received this from a friend neurobiologist.
> -------------
>         Monosodium glutamate does in fact act at the glutamate receptors in
> the brain, and this is likely related the headaches that some people get
> after eating Chinese food ("Chinese food syndrome").   I do not believe
> that the quantities that arrive to the brain by injested food are
> neurotoxic, though.   The headaches are most likely due to actions on blood
> vessels in the brain.

For what it's worth...PK Gene eats Chinese and seemingly experiences no
ill effect.

Currently his meds are: 1/2 sinemet 25/100 in a.m., along with one 5 MG
eldepryl (selegiline). Then he takes 1 one tablet, four times a day of
Sinemet CR 50/200 every four hours.

Ironically, his only problem with monosodium glutatmate is me. Sometimes I
will get a headache, but lately it seems to depend on which restaurant we
go to. One restaurant claims not to use any but, then again,  their food
doesn't taste as good either. :(

Klara N.