ALLAN,

I asked the same thing when I heard the house debate and got this
response fro PAN-  I think we are OK.
Charlie

Subject:
           Labor/HHS bill
    Date:
           Sat, 08 Nov 1997 18:37:16 -0500
    From:
           "Monica A. Bowman" <[log in to unmask]>
       To:

Mr. Meyer,

The FY98 Labor/Health/Education conference report did indeed include a
ban on human embryo research.  Human embryo research involves, among
other things, the cultivation and manipulation of human embryos--in
various stages of very early development--in a laboratory environment.
In part, researchers investigate cell development, division,
specialization and so on.  It can involve artificial fertalization and
the manipulation of multiple embryos.

I'm not a scientist, so I'm giving you a very general answer.  What I
know as a politician is that human embryo and fetal tissue research are
very distinct types of research--and that human embryo research is far
more contentious.

FYI--the Senate passed the FY98 Labor/Health/Education conference report
Saturday afternoon by a vote of 91-4.

It's a great day for the Parkinson's community!

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact
me either by email or by phone at (800) 850-4726.

Sincerely,

Michael Claeys
Community Outreach Coordinator

--