from Mike Claeys, Parkinson's Action Network
"Senate Joins House in Passing Udall Bill"

At about 3:00 pm the Senate closed its vote on the fiscal year 1998
Labor, Health & Human Services, Education and Related Agencies
Appropriations conference report.  The final tally was 91 aye's, and 4
nye's.  With that vote, the Congress of the United States has
unambiguously endorsed an aggressive and focused initiative to find a
cure for Parkinson's disease: the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research
and Education Act.

When President Clinton signs the Labor/HHS conference report (within the
next few days) the Udall bill will officially become the Udall Law, and
the worldwide Parkinson's community, whether they all are aware of it or
not, will have taken a significant step towards realizing the cure.
This is a truly momentous achievement--particularly given what the
community has overcome to get here.

As with any accomplishment, those responsible make up a long list.  At
the top has to be Mo Udall and his family, for making his struggle
visible, and for providing an inspiration for all to rally around.  The
Udall bill's Congressional sponsors, Senators Paul Wellstone and John
McCain, and Congressmen Fred Upton and Henry Waxman, without whose
leadership and commitment this victory would not have been possible.
Former Senator Mark Hatfield, the bill's original author, also deserves
tremendous credit for his vision and leadership.  Every Senator and
Representative who signed their name as a cosponsor and went on record
for making Parkinson's a higher priority deserves our thanks.  The
dedicated members of the research community, who spend their lives
trying to save others, and played a crucial role by helping convince
Congress of the merit and promise of Parkinson's research.

Most importantly, though, the credit goes to every member of the
nationwide grassroots advocacy campaign--the real heart and political
muscle of this movement.  From those who mailed in letters and
postcards, to those who doggedly walked the halls of Congress, everyone
contributed to this victory--a victory that did nothing less than change
the way our government and our nation view Parkinon's disease.

The Parkinson's Action Network will continue to provide updates to the
Listserve, and by Friday, November 14 we will send a mailing to our
entire mailing list recapping the Udall bill passage, commenting on its
significance and putting this event in context with our ongoing quest to
find the cure as fast as humanly possible.  Please direct any questions,
comments or requests to our toll-free line (800) 850-4726, our fax line
(707) 544-2363, or our email "[log in to unmask]"

Congratulations to one and all!!!"