Linda, There is little at this time on a Parkinson's/viral connection.
This report is fairly recent, and it is not to difficult to read.
                             Linda Forrest's Mom

Integr Physiol Behav Sci 1997 Jul;32(3):257-264

[MEDLINE record in process]

Tic douloureux, Parkinson's disease and the herpes connection.

Howard JS 3rd

Mental Health Unit, Southland Hospital, Invercargill, New Zealand.

Several cases encountered in psychiatric practice are described in which
herpetic involvement of the trigeminal nerve appeared
to be crucial to the pathophysiology of the patient's illness. A brief
history of herpes is discussed in terms of the anatomy and
physiology of the trigeminal nerve. Particular attention is given to the
effects of intraneuronal herpes on gasserian ganglion and
spinal nuclei discharge thresholds, as well as viral pathways directly
impacting the substantia nigra. Evidence characterizing
Parkinson's disease as one of several important manifestations of CNS
herpes is covered.

PMID: 9322115, MUID: 97463331