First, the Udall Bill is an authorization bill not an appropriations bill.
The money still must be appropriated.  But, it is still a  major, major
victory.  It sends the strongest message yet to NIH to get moving on
Parkinson's.  And it sends a strong message to the research community that
money will be available.

Yes, our job is not over.  But we should be able to count on the support of
all those cosponsors (plus many more who will see this bandwagon moving
forward) during the appropriations process next year.

Yes, we will have to be vigilant with NIH.  But, they are as you noted
employees of the federal government.  As such when instructed by Congress
they will attempt to comply.

Whether any disease has had a cure for those who have it is irrelevant.
What is relevant is whether they can find a cure for Parkinson's soon.  No
one knows that answer for sure, but, it has been stated by many
neuroscientists that we know more about Parkinson's than any other
neurological affliction.  The progress isn't  linear, it relies on
breakthroughs.  How does one predict breakthroughs?  It's difficult, but one
measure is the number of different approaching being pursued.  With
Parkinson's we have several genetic approaches, pharmaceutical, growth
factors, and   several surgical techniques.

Another point in our favor was made to me by Ole Hornykiewtz, the researcher
who in the '60s discovered dopamine was the missing neurotransmitter in
Parkinson's.  He said "Parkinson is a simple disease, not complex like
Altzheimers or schizophrenia.  We may have at our disposal right now all the
information necessary to figure out Parkinson's.  It simply requires someone
to put the pieces together or find the missing piece".  When he said
"simple" he referred to the fact that we know what part of the brain is
malfunctioning, what neurotransmitter is missing and where that
neurotransmitter works.

I wish everyone on this list could hear the researchers I've been privileged
to meet.  At first it was only the young bold researchers like Dr. Isacsons
who spoke of cures.  Then there was cautious optimism by many.  Then last
June at the PDF 40th anniversary dinner, I heard the older veterans, Stan
Fahn and David Marston, talk about the cure being just around the corner.
You just gotta believe!  Early on only a few thought we could ever passed
the Udall Bill.  Even to those who believed, getting a majority of
cosponsors and both Houses seemed impossible.  But here we are. You just
gotta believe and you gotta keep working.

This influx of money hopefully will be the catalyst we need but perhaps even
more important is the higher visibility this Udall effort has given
Parkinson's.  Joan Samuelson uses the words "invisible no more".  Well
$100,000,000 is a pretty visible pile of cash.

I've rambled quite a bit.  But passage of the Udall Bill is a giant step
forward.  Their is still much to do.  Let us pause only briefly to savor the
moment, then back to work. One of my favorite sayings is "You can make a
difference.  Together we can make a BIG difference."  We need to build on
the cooperative effort that got us this.  Passing the Udall Bill is a great
chapter but the book isn't finished until the villian is  vanquished.