(10 Nov 97) $100 Million

Bruce, I didn't want to be the wet blanket during the enthusiastic
campaign to pass the Udall Bill, but you're of course right. The
NIH strongly lobbied against it, not only because they consider
"earmarking" funds for any specific problem to be an intrusion into
their bureaucratic turf, but also because is HARD to identify any
one disease as the target of a given basic research project. Keep
in mind, we're not talking about testing more drugs (amply
supported by the drug makers) or surgical techniques. Basic
research needed on WHERE does the disease come from, HOW does it
result in progressive illness (not just its symptoms), how to
STOP or REVERSE the progression (not merely treat the symptoms),
and how to PREVENT occurrence or relapse.

When we speak of selecting a proposed project in those terms,
the benefit may apply to any one of myriad related disorders: PD,
HD, AD, CBGD, MSA, DLBD, PSP, OPCA, etc. Therefore it should be
dirt simple for NIH to spend the $100M just as they please on
their favorite projects, while piously reporting (truthfully)
that those projects are of great value in Parkinson's Disease.

There are of course exceptions to that notion, for example a
really comprehensive survey of who gets PD, where, when, and
under what circumstances, is badly needed. So is the search
for a genetic link to PD, given that hereditary susceptibility
to nearly every disease seems to be extremely specific, and
the gene(s) for PD will surely not be the same as for any other.

The biggest plus from Udall, I would guess, is increased
awareness of PD research and its relation to other diseases
more generously funded by NIH. After all, like any other bureau,
NIH thrives on success. If they see a chance for a quick and
easy "breakthrough" they will surely pick that, over dogged
perseverance in some direction that doesn't offer early payoff.

To sum up I would say, relish the victory, but don't expect a
miracle, and don't be surprised if the result is only a slow
change in emphasis at NIH, rather than a sudden burst of new
PD research projects. That's still a good thing, don't knock it.

Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694