On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Joan Martin wrote:

> Hi, my son tells me that he read in USA Today that Johnny Cash has been
> diagnosed with Shy Dragers and not PD.  Apparently he's been to Vanderbilt
> this week and had the diagnosis confirmed.  Does anyone have any details?

Seems on Oct. 25 in Michigan, he almost fell down during a concert picking
up his guitar.  He canceled a book tour scheduled in NY.  He was scheduled
for a concert in our fair city on Nov. 11th, but has now postponed all
performances until he gets stabilized.  So far...his only symptom has been
equilibrium problems.  His grandfather also had PK.

This morning's paper, The Register-Guard, reports:

        "Cash has suffered many medical problems through the years.  A
pinched newve in his jaw causes him constant pain, and  he was treated for
addiction to morphine in 1984 at the Betty Ford Center for Chemical
Dependence.

        In 1988, he underwent successful double-bypass heart surgery.  The
following year he entered a drug -and-alohol treatment center to guard
against a relapse after he stopped taking pain medication."

The paper states he thrives on challenge.(Just like all of you here on
this list. :) He plans on still performing after getting a treatment
plan.

In his autobiography, he writes he like to "just keel over and die on the
stage, under the lights, with my bank and my family around me and Fluke
(drummer W. S. Holland) still laying down the beat. That's every
performer's dream, you know."

HANG on in there, John.  AFTERALL, that's not TOO bad for A GUY NAMED SUE!

Klara N.