Hi,
I am new to the PD List.  Please let me introduce myself....my name is
Leslie, my father Ed was diagnosed with pd about 13 years ago..we were
on a cruise and noticed he was unable to sign his visa bill....insisited
he go to the doc and unfortunately...went for another two years with the
internists saying he has had a series of small strokes......symptoms
kept becoming more obvious...finially got him the the neuro... and was
put through all the diagnostics...parkinson's syndrome was the ultimate
diagnosis...due to two more years of small strokes..that was 13 years
ago....he did very well on sinemet and was able to golf, drive etc.
until about two years ago...first golf went then his excellent neuor.
retired..back he went to the family care doc...and we got into some more
trouble with meds....found another neuro....got straightened out with
meds...and in to the picture comes my mother who feels if one valium is
enogh 4 are better...you can only guess what happened next...she became
angry with the neuro. and went back to the family care doc..totally to
find my father on at least 8 different meds and if he didn't sleep my
mother instructed the caregivers to give him double.....it was a mess.
My husband and I came home (after being gone a month)to my father in the
nursing home after having been transferred there by the hospital....(my
mother was out to dinner with friends when we arrived home).....it is
now a month later...he has been totally DETOXED (taken off EVERY RX),
taken back to the neuro. and now thank you to BRIAN BECKWITH, is on a
very small dose of sinemet and has been moved back home with 24 hour
care....my mother we are hoping is going to live with her sister.   My
brother and I are totally responsible for his care which is much
HEALTHIER......it is very bittersweet, our situation!  I am so sorry for
my Dad but so grateful to be such an important part of his life at this
time.. He is the most wonderful, kind, generous, fabulous human being.
He laughed a lot today (he has been home 2 days now)......and hey Brian,
he is moving better!!  I am responsible for meal planning and would like
to know of low protien GOOD meals. If anyone has suggestions for me I
would appreciate it very much.  Thanks for listening to me...Leslie