[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Am I the only one wo is confused?  Is the Udall bill which was
> passed an authorization bill, or an appropriations bill?
>  Per Jim Cordy, ll/l0, it is an authorizations bill, and must go
>  through the
> appropriations process next year.
> Per B. Schirloff, ll/ll, it is an appropriations bill.
>
> Can someone explain which it is?  Authorization, or appropriations?
> And how much more work will be required to actually get the dollars
> to the right places. Thanks,  Dave & Lyn

Below is the version of the Udall Bill as modified and incorported
into the larger appropriations HR2264 bill as an amendment, as I
fouund it in http://thomas.loc.gov. (the version sent to the
President.)  There is no appropriated amount here.  However, in the
main part of the bill covering appropriations for the NIH there are
increases over last year for the various institutes.

I will later look up and post Section 409B of 42 USC 284, which this
amends, unless someone beats me to it.

Phil Tompkins
59/8

                                H.R.2264

Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and
Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 1998 (Enrolled Bill (Sent to
President))

PARKINSON'S DISEASE RESEARCH

     SEC. 603. (a) SHORT TITLE- This section may be cited as the
     `Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Disease Research Act of 1997'.

     (b) FINDING AND PURPOSE-

          (1) FINDING- Congress finds that to take full advantage of
          the tremendous potential for finding a cure or effective
          treatment, the Federal investment in Parkinson's disease
          must be expanded, as well as the coordination strengthened
          among the National Institutes of Health research institutes.

          (2) PURPOSE- It is the purpose of this section to provide
          for the expansion and coordination of research regarding
          Parkinson's disease, and to improve care and assistance for
          afflicted individuals and their family caregivers.

     (c) PARKINSON'S DISEASE RESEARCH- Part B of title IV of the
     Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 284 et seq.) is amended by
     adding at the end the following:

`PARKINSON'S DISEASE

     `SEC. 409B. (a) IN GENERAL- The Director of NIH shall establish a
     program for the conduct and support of research and training with
     respect to Parkinson's disease (subject to the extent of amounts
     appropriated under subsection (e)).

     `(b) INTER-INSTITUTE COORDINATION-

          `(1) IN GENERAL- The Director of NIH shall provide for the
          coordination of the program established under subsection (a)
          among all of the national research institutes conducting
          Parkinson's disease research.

          `(2) CONFERENCE- Coordination under paragraph (1) shall
          include the convening of a research planning conference not
          less frequently than once every 2 years. Each such
          conference shall prepare and submit to the Committee on
          Appropriations and the Committee on Labor and Human
          Resources of the Senate and the Committee on Appropriations
          and the Committee on Commerce of the House of
          Representatives a report concerning the conference.

     `(c) MORRIS K. UDALL RESEARCH CENTERS-

          `(1) IN GENERAL- The Director of NIH is authorized to award
          Core Center Grants to encourage the development of
          innovative multidisciplinary research and provide training
          concerning Parkinson's disease. The Director is authorized
          to award not more than 10 Core Center Grants and designate
          each center funded under such grants as a Morris K. Udall
          Center for Research on Parkinson's Disease.

          `(2) REQUIREMENTS-

               `(A) IN GENERAL- With respect to Parkinson's disease,
               each center assisted under this subsection shall--

                    `(i) use the facilities of a single institution or
                    a consortium of cooperating institutions, and meet
                    such qualifications as may be prescribed by the
                    Director of the NIH; and

                    `(ii) conduct basic and clinical research.

               `(B) DISCRETIONARY REQUIREMENTS- With respect to
               Parkinson's disease, each center assisted under this
               subsection may--

                    `(i) conduct training programs for scientists and
                    health professionals;

                    `(ii) conduct programs to provide information and
                    continuing education to health professionals;

                    `(iii) conduct programs for the dissemination of
                    information to the public;

                    `(iv) separately or in collaboration with other
                    centers, establish a nationwide data system
                    derived from patient populations with Parkinson's
                    disease, and where possible, comparing relevant
                    data involving general populations;

                    `(v) separately or in collaboration with other
                    centers, establish a Parkinson's Disease
                    Information Clearinghouse to facilitate and
                    enhance knowledge and understanding of Parkinson's
                    disease; and

                    `(vi) separately or in collaboration with other
                    centers, establish a national education program
                    that fosters a national focus on Parkinson's
                    disease and the care of those with Parkinson's
                    disease.