Charlie,
Welcome to the List.  I am always thrilled when I hear that medical folk
are taking an interest in the List.  What an assett you will be to your
mother.

I have not heard of acupuncture being specifically useful for PWP - but it
is always useful to remember that PWP also get other conditions which may
be helped by acupuncture. So the answer is yes and know.  If there is
muscle rigidity and stiffness this is generally best helped by medication
(levodopa or agonists, for example). A whole new generation of medications
is becoming available, so your mother will be lucky.

Ask around about what sort of medications are best for the  newly
diagnosed.  Some neurologists and most doctors (with respect) do not offer
the "choice" which we here on the list know is available.
And don't forget to factor in those which are thought to be neuroprotective.

You may be interested to know that our Western Australian Association
(through Parkinson's Australia) has just published a manual called
"Parkinson's Disease: A general Practice Approach" which was written in
conjuntion with the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners.
It is available for $15 Australian (includes package and postage) and you
can order one by sending the money (in Australian dollars please)to:
Ms Brenda Malone,
 Parkinson's Association of WA.
Neurological Lotteries House
320 Rokeby Rd