TOLCAPONE /TASMAR  - SILENCE??

I am  grateful to those List members who replied to my note of the 29.10.97
and to those who made subsequent independent contributions.

Sonia wrote of her experiences on the 31.10.97 reminding us that "the side
effects can be very unpleasant"

Regrettably,  I too have to send in a negative report - so much so that
TASMAR has been  removed from my list of  prescribed medicaments. Of course,
I could be one of those statistical blips that Roche refer to in their sales
literature published at the time of the  TOLCAPONE  introduction into  Canada
- "The most frequent adverse event that leads to discontinuation of therapy
was diarrhoea (only five to six per cent discontinued therapy as a result,
versus one per cent on placebo".  Thank you Judith Richards for sending a
copy of the Press Release to the List on the 31,10.97.

In my case, TASMAR was prescribed to be taken 3 x 100mg.  daily. - starting
on the 10.10.97. It was stopped  on the 22.10.97.  Initially,  little was
noticed, but from the 16.  October onwards,  I was having increasing problems
with the bowels. As from the 22.  October  the situation drastically
worsened.  Since then, I have been  plagued with a most disagreeable and
enervating diarrhoea.  In spite of  anti diarrhoea medicines being prescribed
on the 01.11.97, it  still has not stopped (07.11.97) although hopefully, the
worst may be over now.

The purpose in reporting these incidents to the List is several :-

        it is only by learning of others'  experiences that one can learn oneself.

        to substantiate the experience of others who have taken TASMAR

        to confirm that my attacks of diarrhoea, allegedly caused by the TASMAR,
 were not trifling matters, they are taking place over a longish period of
time and are severe. My general health condition has declined during these
last weeks.

        to highlight the problem so that doctors who may  be  prescribing  TASMAR
may themselves be reminded of the risks involved and to suggest that doctors
inform their patients accordingly.

        finally, I suggest that it could be helpful if our messages of concern were
to  reach the correct departments at Roche both in New Jersey and in Basel
 In  my layman's view, the diarrhoea presents a serious problem that will not
go away by either ignoring  or belittling it.  Should not corrective action
to the formula be considered both for medical and commercial reasons?

I hope that this report on a personal  experience with  TASMAR may be useful
and  a contribution towards a better understanding.

With best regards
        [log in to unmask] (Rae Paterson)