Charles T. Meyer wrote:
> Electroconvulsive therapy is as you are probably aware primarily used in
> severe depression.  It is the single most effective treatment for
> depression and when medications don't work it is a Godsend.  Since it is
> thought to work by causing release of neurotransmitters like dopamine it
> can be used for PD too. It is supposed to work for some people.
> > Charlie
>
> Dale Severance wrote:
> > I have not seen anyone describing Shock treatment as a course of treatment for PD. Has anyone else heard of or had shock treatment for PD>
> >
> CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
> Middleton, WI

I also have seen a recent article or two about ECT for PD. For a long
time I thought ECT had fallen from favor because it is both painful and
destructive. Many years ago, a close friend suffered what was then
called a "breakdown" (severe manic-depressive psychosis) and was
delivered to a private sanitarium where he promptly got ECT. On release
the psychosis was gone, but so was his former bright, inquisitive
personality. He emerged extremely quiet, submissive, and complaisant,
the "don't make waves" type. He also reported that the treatment was
painful, what he imagined an electrocution would feel like.
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013