Janet,

You wrote:

> my experience with clinical depression [cd]
> has taught me that 'willpower'
> has no bearing on
> getting out of a clinical depression

I have no doubt whatsoever that anyone suffering from CD needs
profesional help to climb out of it.  I am also aware that CD is
experienced by a great many PWP.  However I am concerned
with what seems to be a blanket approach to depression and PD.

Having PD does not mean you automatically have CD.  I would
suspect that at some point everyone diagnosed with PD feels
sad.  How could we not.  I would be extremly worried about the
mental health of anyone who never felt sad about having a chronic
life altering condition.  But being SAD does not of itself mean you
have CD, and for those of us who are sad but not clinically depressed
the time comes when we have to choose to put aside the sorrow
and get on with our lives.   Those of us who find this impossible to
do are the candidates for a diagnosis of clinical depression.

I have no doubt that CD is underdiagnosed in the general population,
but I suspect that it may be overdiagnosed amoung PWP.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/