Janet:  I'm 43 years old and was diagnosed with major clinic (endogenous)
depression almost 2 years ago though I believe I was symptomatic a couple of
years before my diagnosis (endogenous depression is when brain chemicals
aren't functioning correctly--exdogenous depression is depression caused by
external factors i.e. divorce, death of loved one, etc.).  I will be on
anti-depression meds all my life and I can tell you for a FACT that no matter
how hard you pull on the boot-straps, you cannot lift yourself out of that
depression.  It took me trying 5 different anti-depressants before I found
the one that worked for me (prozac).....while I can appreciate "fistiness" in
the elderly (or even me!)...that smacks of "oh, nothings wrong with you, just
get out of bed and get moving!".  My depression led me to a suicide
attempt.....so I definately agree with your analysis.  Sincerely, Mark