Stephan Schwartz wrote:

> Re: adverse effects of carbidopa . . .
>    You recently posted some info on carbidopa and its
> combination with levodopa to enhance the availability of
> levodopa to the brain. . .  and suggested:
> "I do believe there is a need to study the potential problem of
> over-dosing with carbidopa."
>    What about the pharmadynamics of Benserazide?  This is
> the ingrediant in Madopar (used outside U.S.A.) insted of
> carbidopa.  Is the optimum dose the same - 70 to 100 mg
> per day?  Is there any clinical data?
>    Stephan Schwartz 53/7

I have no data on benserazide. Anecdotally, I believe Brian Collins noted that
someone reported switching from Sinemet to Madopar and feeling better. The
November 1989 Neurology 39 (suppl 2) article, Pharmacokinetics and
bioavailability of Sinemet CR: A summary of human studies, which starts on
page 25, is what I have. It mentions that carbidopa appears to saturate with
CR dosages every 8 hours.

There is no clinical or high dosage data in my possession for either. With the
addition of COMT inhibitors, the complexity increases further.

Perhaps list members who take over 400 mg/day of carbidopa or benserazide
could be polled.  perhaps a pharmacist could find information for us.
--
Ron Vetter 1936, 1984 PD dz ... "money is coined liberty" ... Dostoevsky
e-mail: [log in to unmask]