On Fri 07 Nov, Stephan Schwartz wrote:
> Ron:
> Re: adverse effects of carbidopa . . .
>    You recently posted some info on carbidopa and its
> combination with levodopa to enhance the availability of
> levodopa to the brain. . .  and suggested:
> "I do believe there is a need to study the potential problem of
> over-dosing with carbidopa."
>    What about the pharmadynamics of Benserazide?  This is
> the ingrediant in Madopar (used outside U.S.A.) insted of
> carbidopa.  Is the optimum dose the same - 70 to 100 mg
> per day?  Is there any clinical data?
>    Stephan Schwartz 53/7

Hello Stephan,  I have used Sinemet and Madopar interchangeably in the past
and found the benserazide and carbidopa to be equal in the performance of
their primary role - to protect the levodopa while in the blood stream
(and the lower intestine?). It is used in the same proportions as Sinemet
e.g. 25/100.  As far as the secondary effects are concerned however, it may
be that benserazide has an edge (Emphasize maybe). I offer 2 items.

1/ Madopar is not available in a 10/100 ratio like Sinemet (perhaps because
Madopar does not need it ?)

2/ My friend in the local Derby branch of the PDS who holds the record (as
far as I know) for levodopa intake (3000 mg per day !!) used to suffer badly
from what I think in retrospect was Carbidopa poisoning : Tired, listless,
nausea, etc. He switched to Madopar (same quantity of levodopa) and  ALL
his symptoms disappeared. He is now much more responsive than he used to be.

I know it is only one case, but since it is such an extreme one it may be
a good pointer.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>