my dear parkie cyber-siblings

mark hughes refers to keeping to a 'professional level'
and i'm afraid i'm going to take the bait
with a little tale of my own history
of 'professional' behaviour

this is not directly pd related
so consider yourself
fore-warned!

i have worked as an interior design consultant for approx 20 years
during that time, i had plenty of opportunities
to satisfy the curiosity of aquaintances, clients, whomever
as to the differences between the terms
'interior designer' and 'interior decorator'

there are many,
but i will only address payment arrangements here

in broad terms, in north america,
the term interior designer
has generally meant someone who was paid
as a 'professional', independent, consultant for their time
in providing advice to their client on an hourly basis

the term interior decorator
has generally meant someone who was paid
a percentage of the cost of the goods sold to the client
and therefore frequently had a 'bias' in terms of selecting products

both ways of conducting business are legal
and are the choice of the client, the general public

however, if a designer/decorator were to accept
a 'commission' from a supplier, otherwise known as a 'kick-back'
***without the prior knowledge of the client***
that monetary transaction
constitutes frau
and is illegal

thus, in brief, my experience of 'professional' behaviour
is that any monetary gain that is concealed,
however clumsily, is suspect
and unprofessional

if one is operating an honest 'professional' business
in the 'for-profit' market
why conceal it?

the stakes get a tad higher
when the health and safety of the general public [us] is involved
and thus the need for regulation and licensing by the government [us]

if we don't like the regulations and licensing as they stand
e.g. too much red tape, too slow, too complicated, etc etc
we can seek to change them
that is our right, and our responsibility, in a democratic environment

i, for one, am grateful
that those rules and regulations are in place
and will remain cynical and hyper-vigilant to those
who secretly pursue personal gain by side-stepping them

your ever cynical and proud of it cyber-sis

janet

janet [log in to unmask]