Finally the White House staff took all the people from the front row
reserved seats and left with them.  I figured either the President was
getting to come into the room or  the terrorist that they were looking for
when they delayed Slewett had planted a bomb and they were more concerned
about the VIPs than the rest of us.  Fortunately it signaled that the
President was about to enter the room.  I was somewhat surprised that both
the President and Vice President were there.  Gore started off and
recognized everyone that was there except for a hand full of people which
included all of us from the Parkinson's community.  The major thrust of the
administrations presentation was Education.  Then they got to health care.
It was here that the President mentioned Parkinson's several times, noted
twice that Norma Udall was present and specifically singled out Congressman
Fred Upton for his work involving the Parkinson's portion of this Bill.
Joan Samuelson used to prefer to the Parkinson's community as invisible.
The title of one of the Public Policy Forum was invisible no more.  Well
we've come a long way baby!

Finally they got down to signing the Bill.  Norma Udall was invited up to
the stage and received one of the actual pens the President signed the Bill
with.  When it was over everyone went out into the big hall.  I thought we
might have a chance to speak with the President or at least some of the
members.  WRONG.  The politicians disappeared like vapor.  Poof, they were
gone.  I also was hoping for some tea and crumpets.  I really don't know
what crumpets are and I don't drink tea.  It was a good thing because there
was nothing.

There was a camera crew that wanted to interview me.  They were from the NBC
affiliate in Washington and had been requested to cover my presence there by
the NBC affiliate in Pittsburgh.  We talked for 10 minutes and 5  seconds
made it on the local evening news that night.  It was just as well because I
had a difficult time keeping it together.  I tell people I used to be the
typical American male and cry once a decade whether I need it or not.  But,
Parkinson's has resulted in me getting choked up whenever I speak about
something emotional.  Parkinson's for me is very emotional.  But this crying
business doesn't do much for my public speaking.

As many of you know I have a few quirks and on the day we signed the Bill I
insisted on high fives rather than traditional hand shakes. I wish I had a
photo of the high fives with Norma Udall and Nat Slewett.   They are not as
spry as they used to be.  Of course having Parkinson's, neither am I.  Mort
Kondracke does have photos of Joan and I high fiving.

Well, as Warner Brothers concluded so many times "that's all folks".

  I would like to pull together a collection of highlights and humorous
events that took place during our efforts to pass the Udall Bill.  Anyone
with contributions please send to me.

Jim Cordy
Pittsburgh