John,

You wrote,

> Dennis, in many (if not most) cases, the knowledge that one has clinical
> depression (CD) comes well before the diagnoses of of PD.  CD is often
used
> as a marker for the onset of PD even though the diagnoses of PD is years
> later.
>                                                                 Peace,
John

I don't doubt it John, but your statement is a classic example of what I
termed blanket statements.  It carries the implication that CD is a sine
qua
non of PD,  wereas, as Janet has remarked elsewhere, most studies suggest
that it is present in 40 - 50% of cases. This of course means that it is
NOT
present in  50 - 60% of cases.  By any criteria those figures can not be
construed as CD being present " in many (if not most) cases".  Many yes,
most no.

This is not splitting hairs.  If it is assumed that most PWP have CD then
any manifestation of sadness in a PWP is assumed to be a symptom
of CD and treatment commences for a condition they may well not have.
Worse yet the correct response, a positive attitude to life, is not even
tried.

I do not deny the existance of CD. I do not deny that it affects up to half
of
us.  But lets keep in mind that at last half of us, and possibly as many as
60% of us (most in anybodies language)  can "lift ourselves by the
bootstraps" if we need to and choose to.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/