On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Debbie White wrote:

> My mother Joyce (68/8months) has been talking about signing up for a Tai
> Chi class with my father but hasn't so far found a convenient class. I
> recall reading about Tai Chi videos on this list; in fact, I located one
> posting from Anne Rutherford about a tape specificially for PD.
>
> Anne, or anyone else who has seen that tape, would this be appropriate for
> a non-PD participant, too? (My father would be practicing Tai Chi for
> stress reduction.) Are there other tapes out there good for the general
> public? (My mother is in early stages and can manage a range of things.)

Debbie,  There is a tape that I purchased from the Tai Chi Society in
Toronto entitled "Taoist Tai Chi for People with Parkinson's: Adapted
Exercises for Health and Relaxation."  I ordered it by phone and credit
card calling 416-656-2110.  I was most disappointed with this tape, for I
had expected lessons in Tai Chi.  This tape, however, notwithstanding its
title, consists of warm-up exercises for Tai Chi for PWP.
I suggest a visit to your local public library or video rental store where
you can sample a number of instruction tapes.
Tai Chi is highly recommended as an exercise for elderly folks as well as
PWP because of its emphasis on balance and range of motion.
  Sid Roberts   67/dx3
  [log in to unmask]       Youngstown, Ohio