Debbie - I've been studying Tai Chi for a year now and can't imagine learning it solely from a tape.  For one thing, there's so much more to Tai Chi than the basic pattern of the movements.  For another, it's difficult for people without a background in dance to learn even the basic pattern from a tape.  So, I'd suggest that your mother make time to attend some classes - usually offered in 6-8 week sessions - and buy a tape suggested by her instructor.  For reminders of what-I've-forgotten-in-the-2-days-since-class (and I've GOT dance background!), the tape is great.  Mary Rack