Lanier,

Amitriptyline (Elavil) is an antidepressant which was one of the early
drugs in this group to go on the market.  It was effective as an
anti-depressant but a large percentage of patients that took it
developed side effects some of which were as uncomfortable as the
illness that it was being used to treat. Doses of 150-200 mg / day were
not uncommon and at times doses given would exceed 300 mg/day.  So as
far as risk goes an increased dose should not be a problem. However, if
side effects are a problem another antidepressant trazodone can be used
for the same purpose with a decreased side effect profile at low doses.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI