------------------------------
Date:    Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:29:33 -0500
From:    Judith Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: miracles of the internet

At 01:02 am 17/11/97 -0500, KEn Becker wrote:
>Jeremy, I don't think the problem with Mark Hughes was that he was pushing
> an alternative product. The problem was that he did not mention his personal
>interest in it up front.

Mark Hughes probably erred in not stating up front that he was involved with
marketing this product. However, had he done so, I have no doubt that he
would have been accused of blatantly pushing his product. He was in a no win
situation.

>I also think there are rules on this list about selling products. I may be
>wrong.

When I read Mark's post about sending information, and an audio tape, I
wondered if he was connected with the product too. However, I didn't think
he was 'pushing' it.

>I don't like censorship either, unless I get to BE the censor, so I get to
>see everything myself! :-)

Nor do I like censorship, or dishonesty. Unfortunately, when someone is 'set
upon,' in an open forum, a form of censorship is imposed. I know several
people who have either signed off the list, or are hesitant to post because
they don't like to 'be pounced.' Surely we can disagree, or state our
opinions without overkill.

Mark Hughes may have signed off the list in disgust. And who loses? First of
all, his father-in-law...

Judith Richards