my apologies sibs

i just couldn't help sending this in!
my 'canajun' laugh for the day again???
i didn't even dare crop this one!

just what in heck am i going back to?

yrs in silliness

janet

'Invisible condom' unveiled by Canadian university

QUEBEC CITY (November 14, 1997 00:47 a.m. EST) - A prototype for an
"invisible condom" to help fight HIV and other sexually transmitted
diseases was unveiled Thursday by a Canadian university.

It hopes to make the condom available in two years.

Developed over seven years by Laval University's Infectious Diseases
Research Center, the new "condom" is in fact a non-toxic polymer-based
liquid that solidifies into a gel at body temperature.

A woman or male homosexual partner would apply the liquid to genital or
anal parts before a sexual encounter.

Laval said tests showed that the gel formed a water-proof film that
dramatically reduced transmission of the HIV virus responsible for AIDS,
and could also block the virus responsible for genital herpes.

Laval Infectious Diseases Research Center director Michel Bergeron told a
news conference "we developed our 'invisible condom' to protect women who
are victim of men who refuse to wear latex."

"We call it invisible because it can be used without telling the partner
who doesn't want to use a latex condom," Bergeron said.

He noted that recent North American research showed that half of the people
who practiced high-risk sex did not use latex condoms.

Laval plans human clinical tests in the next two years and hopes to market
the product through a commercial drug company, pending regulatory approval
in Canada and the United States.

Copyright 1997 Nando.net
Copyright 1997 Reuters
<http://www.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/health/111497/health3_22329_noframes.html>