From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Charles T. Meyer
Sent:   Monday, November 17, 1997 5:43 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Anyone heard  of This Drug?

HI Barb,

Pemoline is the generic name of a drug with the brand name of Cylert. It
is primarily used for kids and sometimes adults who have attention
defect disorder.  It acts as a stimulant similar to Ritalin but it lasts
through the day (or at least is supposed to).  Recently it has fallen
somewhat out of favor because of a few deaths due to liver failure.
This is extremely rare and likely can be prevented by monitoring liver
function studies early in treatment.  It should not cause problems with
PD meds and theoretically at least should increase dopamine in the
synapse.

Charlie

Barbara Mallut wrote:

> Hey youse all!   Will ya go into your respective personal memory banks and
try
> to remember if ya have heard of a drug named "PEMOLINE?"   And IF ya know
> anything about it, will ya please drop me an email with the information or
> anecdotes?
>
> I went to Kaiser (an HMO for those who haven't heard of it) today to talk to
> neuro about the bone-crushing fatigue that I've been plagued by and after
> discussing Ritalin and some other options, the MD suggested I try Pamoline -
> which I'd never heard of before.   She said it's used like Ritalin in most
> instances....
>
> My concern is I don't know this MD at all as she's a "per deim" physician at
> Kaiser sitting in for my regular Kaiser neuro, who's on leave  ( I've only
> seen HIM once and wasn't all  that crazy about 'em.  He basically just told
me
> to "live with it" when I saw him specifically to discuss the fatigue).
>
> This "Rent-a-Doc" <grin> seemed to be drug-savvy, but she wasn't too up on
PD

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI