Dear Barbara,

You are to be commended for your thoroughness. Your glossary will be
very helpful to the students.  When I have lectured to the Nursing
students at our local Junior College I usually try to zero in on
things I think the staff will not have covered.  Since I am not a
nurse but a person with PD I tell them some of the ideosyncracies
that are rarely mentioned in textbooks, such as not being able to do
something you have done before at any given moment, how to help
someone who freezes, the mask of PD covering the emotions and the
need to try to see beyond it, the need for help with fine finger
coordination efforts such as opening containers in a hospital
situation.  The need for medication at absolute times for long term
patients in hospital. The dangers of multiple medications and their
interactions.  The problems with chewing and swallowing and the need
for attention by physical therapists in hospital to the patient's
medication regimen for best results.  These are just a few of the
points.  Our support group has a RN/PD patient team who go to health
institutions (hospitals, nursing homes, retirement full-care units,
rehab centers, etc.) and do in-service training.  They are in much
demand.  Some of the places have video taped our program so that we
do not have to keep returning to educate the turnover staff.  Our
city's Visiting Nurses' organization supplies the RN as a volunteer
and a knowledgeable person with PD fields questions that are more
personal.  It makes for an enlightning program.

We also have prevailed on our local Toastmasters and Toastmmistress'
Clubs to provide a speaker for our Speakers' Bureau whom we train
carefully about PD.  They then go to the local service clubs (Lions,
Elks etc) and present a program introducing PD..  We send a
knowledgeable  person with PD along to field the questions.  The
response has been excellent.  We believe in educating the public!

Too bad you and the Neurologist weren't informed more carefully of
your roles ahead of time.  Better luck next time.  Thanks for all you
do for this list service.  It is much appreciated.  God bless.

Bev in CA