Donna,

I agree that the SSRI's are usually better antidepressants than the
TCA's (tricyclics).  I have heard that TCA's sometimes are felt to have
some dopamine blocking properties but when that was all we had I used
TCA's with PD patients with no trouble including nortriptyline which was
my favorite prior to the SSRI's.

Amitriptyline in the instances being discussed recently on the list was
being used for its sedation side effects and in low doses.
Amitriptyline is metabolized to nortriptyline in the body so in effect
these individuals are also taking nortriptyline. Tremors and anxiety can
occur in almost all the antidepressants although usually even with PD
patients it is not a problem-  but it can be.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI