Hi Pat, You wrote, in part:

>I'm interested in all this tomato business. I'm proud of my tomatoes and
>pepper garden and fix lots of Italian food with tomatoes, but reading
>about it makes me realize that my meds have been less effective
>afterwards.  Could be something to it.

Pat, you mention peppers, by which I presume you mean Red and Green peppers.
Peppers themselves are part of the "night shade" group of plants.

Interestingly, in France and northern Europe the tomato was at first grown
as an ornamental plant. Since botanists recognized it as a relative of the
poisonous belladonna and deadly nightshade, it was regarded with suspicion
as a food. (The roots and leaves of the tomato plant are in fact poisonous
they contain the neurotoxin solanine.) So, don't let any leaves get in your
blender if you make tomato juice, Pat. <Grin>.

I am hoping that other group members will take note of any tomato effect and
report if they find anything.  It is probably easy to miss a connection with
something as simple and frequently eaten as tomatoes, as they appear in some
form or other in most of our foods.  I am still investigating this avenue.

Footnote to Barb:

Hey Barb, (I know you are reading this)  I know it probably sounded deadly
boring to say that I had tomato soup almost daily in the winter, but it was
not that bad, honest!  The soups were generally BASED on tomato, ie largest
ingredient, rarely just plain tomato soup.  To those, Julia would introduce
fresh vegetables part blended and make it quite tasty.  Eaten with various
local fresh bread such as "Sun dried tomato bread" (groan) Olive bread,
Sesame rolls, garlic bread etc. and rounded off with at least 2 helpings of
fresh fruit, it was quite enjoyable. Even Kathrynne Holden might approve.
Don't answer if you read this Kathrynne, Barb's instructions to diversify
are enough!!

I reckon those tomatoes MUST have done something to you Barb. <Grin>  Where
did you see the "e" that you said I put in tomato?  You had me going over my
mail searching for tomato with an "e".  I couldn't find a thing, only in the
plural "tomatoes".  I reckon you're pulling my leg ore youe aree seeinge
imaginarye extrae eee's everywheree. Coulde bee ae seriouse probleme.

<Laughing and leaving>

Huggles to you too,

Ernie.
Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>