Charles T. Meyer wrote:

> Joe,
>
> A question is whether the personality change was from the ECT or was it
> from the residual of the psychotic depression he was treated for??
>
> Charlie

Without professional training I can't say for sure but I think the
former. Going in I saw only the manic phase- a bizarre exaggeration
of his normally lively persona (24 hours of close contact with this
was exhausting for me too). Coming out was like what I had heard
about lobotomy patients- not so much sad as dull, subdued, unres-
ponsive, slurred speech. After ECT I didn't see him for some time
(I forget how long he was confined) so I have no direct knowledge
of the immediate aftermath. Now (40 or so yr later) my friend is
well, except for a slight stammer and slower speech, pretty much as
I recall before the episode, although I have no clinical data to
back that opinion. Regards,
Joe
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road